When you develop a habit of eating fast/processed food, it is hard to let it go but with slowly you can drop the old habit and start fresh.
The key to a healthy diet is mainly determined by eating the right amount of calories and eating a wide range of foods to have a balanced diet.
One of the hardest choices when looking to lose weight is choosing healthy food. Fast and processed foods are easy to access and eat but they have a lot of calories and they cannot help you when it comes to weight loss.
With a balanced diet, your body will not be deficient of nutrients in any way. This article will help you understand 3 tips to enjoy healthy eating. They include:
1. Eat more whole grain
Whole grain is a type of food that contains all the components of the grain seed in their endosperm. A grain seed is made up of the germ, endosperm, and bran.
The three components provide the required nutrients and vitamins. Therefore, the cooking method does not matter as long as the three components are preserved.
Whole grain contains the following nutrients in varying amounts:
- Dietary fiber
- Plant proteins
- Organic iron
- Vitamin B1 (thiamin)
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid)
Since whole grain contains a lot of nutrients, it is advisable to have just one or two servings per day to control the amount of nutrients intake.
It is important to understand that the dietary fiber contained in whole grain will fill your stomach faster especially when you drink water. Therefore, the fiber helps you conquer hunger pangs if you have not eaten for a period of time.
Which whole grains should you try?
Brown rice, millet, and quinoa are the most popular and common whole grains. They are easy to prepare, tasty and nutritious. Sorghum, rye, barley, and amaranth are also alternative whole grains which you can try if you don’t like the first three
2. Avoid eating oily food
Fats are essential in your body but only in small quantities. Ergo, if you like eating oily food, you are not eating healthy because you are eating a lot of calories.
When you are at home cooking or ordering food, you should try to avoid oily food at all costs.
However, since you will eat fats at some point, you just need to find some time and workout to burn calories. Roasted veggies and egg whites are some of the foods you can exchange with oily food especially if you are looking to lose weight.
3. Be your own nutrition guru
You can start researching online, ask friends or get advice from the experts on how to prepare different meals. You don’t have to be an expert to start trying different recipes, you just need to be motivated and create some time to get started.
To cook healthier food in your home, here are some tips you can follow:
- Reduce the amount of cheese and cream in your dishes because they have a lot of calories.
- Avoid a lot of salt and season with a variety of spices – a lot of salt can cause serious health problems such as high blood pressure. Ergo, you need to cut down the salt.
- Shop for healthy food. The type of food you choose when shopping determines the number of fats and oils you will ingest. It is advisable to choose low-fat foods such as milk and cheese if possible. Alternatively, you can choose lean meat cuts and avoid fast foods because they have a lot of calories.
- Use extra virgin oil in small quantities when cooking.
- Retain the nutrients – water-soluble nutrients are destroyed during preparation and cooking. Therefore, you should avoid overcooking because it destroys essential nutrients and vitamins.
- Use tasty veggies and mushrooms to top bread and pizza.
You can gather healthy eating tips from a cookbook or online from reliable sites and blogs.
If you are looking to enjoy healthy eating, you should be disciplined to avoid cooking or eating unhealthy food. Sometimes, eating or preparing food that has a lot of calories is easier and fun but in the long run, they’ve profound effects.
Research online to know the different ways you can exercise to burn excess fat or try different meals. Finally, educating yourself is very important to gather the necessary knowledge and skills on how to choose the right meals and cook well.